[Qgis-developer] Wrote a FindByAttribute python plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:58:29 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:02 PM, David A. Riggs <david.a.riggs at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Here's a proposal: rather than making the user find out who the author
>  of every plugin is, only let developers with QGIS commit access upload
>  plugin updates to the Official repository. If Joe Hacker writes a
>  plugin and wants it in the official repository, he either needs to be
>  a QGIS developer, or get one to "sponsor" him. This way, someone who
>  we're already trusting has at least vouched for it, and can enforce
>  some quality standards before the plugin is made available to every
>  QGIS user on the face of the Earth.
>
>  Perhaps there can be a second, Un-Official repository where anybody
>  can upload anything to. Perhaps, even, QGIS developers could pick and
>  choose new and updated plugins from this repo and "promote" them to
>  Official if they deem them worthy. Of course, a user would be free to
>  use this repository if he so wished.

David,

your proposal really makes sense to me! Official repository thus will
thus only contain plugins that are known to be good and with
restricted write access, unofficial repository will be available for
everyone to upload plugins, with maybe higher rate of unfinished or
misbehaving plugins. Users would know that they can trust the official
repository, while the unofficial should be used with care.

I like this idea, would be good to talk about that with other
developers at some meeting.

Regards
Martin