[Qgis-developer] Wrote a FindByAttribute python plugin

David A. Riggs david.a.riggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:02:10 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Michaël Douchin
<michael.douchin at laposte.net> wrote:

>  The best thing to do : BACKUP your data before any non trusted action. This
> way, no worries to have !
>
>  Martin says we have no ressources for checking each plugin.. Why not
> organize a "week of test" for each new python plugin before "allowing" it to
> be avaible for download in the repository. I think we are enough people in
> this mailing list to quickly check each plugin ?
>  Am I dreaming or does it sound realistic ?

If I, as a user, can add any repository, or install any plugin myself,
why not make the Official repository actually mean something....
something like, making the plugins have some semi-official status?

Here's a proposal: rather than making the user find out who the author
of every plugin is, only let developers with QGIS commit access upload
plugin updates to the Official repository. If Joe Hacker writes a
plugin and wants it in the official repository, he either needs to be
a QGIS developer, or get one to "sponsor" him. This way, someone who
we're already trusting has at least vouched for it, and can enforce
some quality standards before the plugin is made available to every
QGIS user on the face of the Earth.

Perhaps there can be a second, Un-Official repository where anybody
can upload anything to. Perhaps, even, QGIS developers could pick and
choose new and updated plugins from this repo and "promote" them to
Official if they deem them worthy. Of course, a user would be free to
use this repository if he so wished.

- DR

--
David A. Riggs <david.a.riggs at gmail.com>