[Qgis-developer] issues with Polish chars in PostGIS column names

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sat Mar 8 13:16:36 EST 2008

Hi,

The OS locale (Ubuntu Gutsy) is all "pl_PL.UTF-8". The Postgres database
is UTF8 (Postgres 8.2.6). When I create a table that has Polish
characters in a column name like:

CREATE TABLE instruments ("gęśle" text);

psql and PgAdmin can work with it fine. QGIS can't.

When a column with a Polish char in it's name in a PostGIS layer is
present, QGIS can't edit the layer - features and columns are not
added/removed when digitizing or editing attributes, although QGIS does
not yield any errors. The user is not informed QGIS fails to save
changes. I guessed what's going on by the fact the column name was
garbled which looked suspicius.

Is this a bug in QGIS?

Maciek