[Qgis-developer] QGIS 0.9 linking problem

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Fri Mar 14 15:23:41 EDT 2008

Joseph Simantov wrote:
> I am trying to compile Qgis 09 on Solaris10, and, while cmake configures the makefiles smoothly and without any error, the 'make' procedure is interrupted with the following error:
>
> Linking CXX executable qgis
> ld: fatal: library -lutil: not found
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to qgis
>
> Does anybody have any idea where does this 'util' library come from?

Hi Joseph,

Some systems, Mac OS X for example, don't have the 'util' library. Try removing '-lutil' from build/src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/build.make and run 'make' again. '-lutil' is in my Ubuntu build.make but not my Mac build.make.

If 'make' succeeds, you don't need 'util'. If it still fails, you may need some other library instead (or perhaps a path to 'util' if it's in some non-standard place). In both cases, something needs to be fixed in the configuration process for Solaris10.

The GRASS plugin has this problem but you haven't gotten that far yet since  the plugin is built after qgis. There is a special case in FindGRASS.cmake for Mac OS X and 'util'. A test for Solaris may need to be added there also.

Tom