[Qgis-developer] QGIS 0.9 linking problem

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 02:36:01 EDT 2008

Joseph Simantov wrote:
> Thx for your help; qgis actually compiled after the reference to util
> was removed, as you suggested.

Hi Joseph,

There is a reference to 'util' in Python.cmake. This may be what is causing  the problem linking qgis. I don't think SOLARIS is a CMake keyword but the test in Python.cmake should be modified to something like 'IF (UNIX AND NOT (APPLE OR SOLARIS))' to see if it fixes the qgis link problem.

> The Grass plugin indeed refused to compile; libutil is required...
>
> Any idea where I could find this lib? I found a reference at
> http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/software/libutil/index.html, but is
> it the right one?

libutil provides the implementation of openpty which is used by the GRASS plugin. Solaris may not have openpty. If it has openpty, you need to specify whatever library contains it (or perhaps no library if it's in a default library like Mac OS X).

In general, you don't want to acquire a system library from elsewhere unless you are certain that 1) it's known to be compatible with your OS and 2) it's known to contain the missing function and also not contain other duplicate functions which might cause conflicts.

If you need an implementation of openpty, finding a library which contains openpty for Solaris and nothing else is the safest solution.

For now, you can try removing '-lutil' from build/src/plugins/grass/CMakeFiles/grassplugin.dir/link.txt. If you still get errors, you need to find openpty.

The GRASS plugin can also be built without openpty. You will not have the QGIS GRASS shell but this will allow you to build everything else until you find a solution for openpty.

The configuration process should not try to build the GRASS shell if Solaris doesn't have openpty. What are the values of OPENPTY_LIBRARY and HAVE_OPENPTY in build/CMakeCache.txt? Setting HAVE_OPENPTY to 0 might get around the problem if removing '-lutil' doesn't work.

Tom