[Qgis-user] Re: AW: [Qgis-developer] "Fix problems with incorectly filled polygons"issues

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu May 1 04:25:32 EDT 2008

Martin Dobias pisze:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:

> The only difference between normal mode and digitizing mode is that
> for every vertex in editing layer QGIS draws an ellipse with
> transparency. Since with FPWIFP the rendered map is stored on X
> server, when drawing a semi-transparent ellipse Qt has to ask X server
> for the background, apply transparency and again send the modified bit
> - one can imagine that this has a lot of overhead instead of just
> changing pixels directly.
>
> Such long times for rendering make me think about those vertex markers
> - there should be an option to customize them for better performance -
> e.g. turn semi-transparency off, change to a simpler shape (cross?) or
> turn them completely.

>>  Seems that vertices transparency is a performance killer. Could this be
>> improved?

> Right, as I've proposed above, allowing some level of customization of
> the markers should do it.

I'd be extremely gratefull for at least allowing the user to fall back
to the old-style cross markers instead of the current transparent
circles. Would that be much work to provide such an option?

I and my clients use QGIS remotely via NX a lot. Transparent QGIS
features require the FPWIFP set on in QGIS when using it via NX,
otherwise they are rendered corrupted or invisible (including the
measure tools, vertex markers and polygons during digitizing).

FPWIFP on has also the advantage of significantly better rendering times
when browsing vector data, both in local or remote NX use.

Yet with FPWIFP on, the rendering performance in digitizing mode is over
10 times worse, which pretty much ruins my party. Also, even with FPWIFP
on, Windows NX clients still sometimes fail to render transparent vertex
markers properly. Just getting rid of transparency where it's not
necessary (eg. the markers) would be a blessed feature in usage scenario
like mine.

Maciek