AW: [Qgis-developer] Next release name - 'Metis'

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Wed May 14 00:05:45 EDT 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hugentobler Marco ha scritto:
>> Hi
>
>> In my experience, there is usually not enough time to discuss things
>> in the IRC meetings. Maybe people could state their plans for next
>> release on the mailing list first so a potential IRC meeting can be
>> more focused.
>
> Hi all.
> I think we should start laying down a list of items to be completed
> before a version could be called 1.0. In the meantime, we can
> release 0.11, 0.12 etc.
> In my view these are necessary:
> - bugfixing (this is probably the heaviest and most boring task)
> - advanced labelling
> - speedup
> - raster catalogues (this can be probably done with a simple plugin,
> as Martin suggested)
> - printing improvements (with raster legend)
> - API stabilization.

I think it is imperative that we release 1.0 before FOSS4G2008. By mid-
August the Google Summer of Code project for labeling will be
complete. There is already work underway on the map composition
feature and hopefully it will be complete before August. The only
other thing (apart from bug fixes/stability) that I would like to see
is the raster catalog.

I suggest we set a target date of August 15 for release of 1.0 and do
not depart from it. This will require some discipline once we start to
stabilize things. I would anticipate this requiring a longer feature
freeze. I would also like to defer any refactoring and major code
cleanups until after 1.0. We need to get a stable working base
established and then polish it from there to get to 1.0.

It's a plain fact that adding new features introduces regressions. It
has with every release. We need to avoid that as much as possible and
get 1.0 out the door. Frank Warmerdam has commented on IRC about the
benefit of getting to 1.0 -- to some our current version numbers imply
something that is not really very mature.

Let's talk about it and see if we can't agree on a release date, a
targeted set of features, and a plan to implement it all.

-gary

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
-Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com