AW: [Qgis-developer] Next release name - 'Metis'

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed May 14 06:26:38 EDT 2008

Hi Gary,

> I suggest we set a target date of August 15 for release of 1.0 and do
> not depart from it.

You mean that date would be the feature freeze or the release date? I hope
feature freeze.

>There is already work underway on the map composition
> feature and hopefully it will be complete before August
> Let's talk about it and see if we can't agree on a release date, a
> targeted set of features, and a plan to implement it all.

For the new print composer features I planned with September. But I expect the
majority of features implemented by mid August. So it is a possibility to
merge to trunk what is available mid August.

In detail the print composer features I plan to implement are the following:

- separate gui from non-gui composer objects to make python bindings possible
later
- possibility to change the size of composer objects
- change color and transparency of object frames and background
- organize order of overlapping objects
- alignment of objects to auxiliary grid
- group/ungroup objects
- more options for scale bars
- support for north arrows in composer (from svg files)
- options to customize the legend in composer (e.g. change order, add or
remove entries)

> benefit of getting to 1.0 -- to some our current version numbers imply
> something that is not really very mature.

I don't have a strong preference about the version numbers. I wouldn't call
QGIS a really very mature software, but this is why we are here ;-)

Regards,
Marco

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography