AW: [Qgis-developer] Next release name - 'Metis'

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu May 15 15:25:06 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/5/14 Gary Sherman <sherman at mrcc.com>:

> I think it is imperative that we release 1.0 before FOSS4G2008. By
> mid-August the Google Summer of Code project for labeling will be complete.
> There is already work underway on the map composition feature and hopefully
> it will be complete before August. The only other thing (apart from bug
> fixes/stability) that I would like to see is the raster catalog.

Chatting briefly with the new community team yesterday, I think its
going to be tight, but maybe doable. I think if we are going to
achieve this we need to start freezing off parts of the application,
disallowing any new features gui changes except in the composer dialog
and vector props dialogs so that we can get a fixed platform to write
docs and do tr() work against. I say this with the idea in mind that
when we release 1.0 it can be with complete documentation ready and
with as complete as possible translation work done.

> I suggest we set a target date of August 15 for release of 1.0 and do not
> depart from it. This will require some discipline once we start to stabilize
> things. I would anticipate this requiring a longer feature freeze. I would
> also like to defer any refactoring and major code cleanups until after 1.0.
> We need to get a stable working base established and then polish it from
> there to get to 1.0.

Based on this I'm thinking we probably need to start feature freeze as
of end of next month (June) or so. And string freeze 15 days after
that. Based on that timing we have maybe one more point release we can
squeeze out before 1.0 is announced.

> It's a plain fact that adding new features introduces regressions. It has
> with every release. We need to avoid that as much as possible and get 1.0
> out the door.

Yes agreed.

 Frank Warmerdam has commented on IRC about the benefit of
> getting to 1.0 -- to some our current version numbers imply something that
> is not really very mature.

I think even when we have 1.0 out we need to be careful not to
oversell QGIS as a ArcMap replacement in its 1.0 incarnation....but I
guess it will have more functionality than ArcView 1.0 had :-).

> Let's talk about it and see if we can't agree on a release date, a targeted
> set of features, and a plan to implement it all.

The  release team will be having a meeting next fri (though a little
early by alaska time), maybe we can hold a general dev meeting later
in the day...? I'm happy to work hard to achieve august 15 release
date, but it depends on other devs pitching in too. Hopefully our
hackfest can put us a lot further down the road to release too.

Regards

Tim