[Qgis-developer] GRASS toolbox enhancements

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu May 15 04:00:35 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I think the GRASS Toolbox is in need of a general overhaul.

One thing that might be easy to fix is to remove the spurious
newlines after each line on the "Output" canvas which seems
to waste a lot of space and make things look ugly in general.

Also, we urgently need a new option type for multiple raster/vector
input maps. Otherwise, useful things like *.patch will not work.

There certainly are many other things that need improvement, but I
think these two would be relatively easy to do and improve usability
a lot.

> BTW: working more deeply with GRASS modules, I discovered quite a few
> spelling mistakes, full stops etc. Also, several check boxes should be
> radio buttons, "Show output" is not alway present (I do not know why).

Did you observe this on Win32? There seem to be some problems with
progress and message text not being piped from stderr to stdout
correctly. I am trying to figure that out at the moment. I know that
r.mapcalc/r3.mapcalc consistently show this problem on Win32.

> Nothing serious, but better clean this up, as it should be easy and
> quick, and makes QGIS llok tidier.
> Furthermore, a number of modules work only with GRASS 6.3, so I suggest
> to require this version. Alternatively, we could avoid copying them at
> compile time if grass 6.2 is present.

Seeing that GRASS 6.3.0 is out officially now and so much better than
6.2 (which is also problematic on native Win), I do not see any
compelling reasons to support anything < 6.3.0 at this point.

> All the best.
> pc

Best,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES