[Qgis-developer] GRASS toolbox enhancements

lami at faunalia.it lami at faunalia.it
Thu May 15 05:22:34 EDT 2008

Hi Marco,
I'm happy that you'd like to work on GRASS tools.
I write some suggestion to you about your news:

> 1) I removed the g.region module and replaced it with 8 different g.region
> modules.

> Here's the new modules:
> 1.1) g.region.raster - Set the region to match a raster map
 You can make it from the browser, I think is not useful add repetitive
modules

> 1.2) g.region.multiple.raster - Set the region to match multiple raster
> maps *
Ok

> 1.3) g.region.region - Set the region from a named region
 You can make it from the browser

> 1.4) g.region.res - Change the 2D grid resolution (both N-S and E-W) of
> the current region
 You can make it from the manage GRASS region icon

> 1.5) g.region.save - Save the current region as a named region
 Already present

> 1.6) g.region.vector - Set the region to match a vector map
 You can make it from the browser

> 1.7) g.region.multiple.vector - Set the region to match multiple vector
> maps *
Ok

> 1.8) g.region.zoom - Shrink the current region until it meets non-NULL
> data from a given raster map
Ok

> * this is actually a walk-around; I needed to set the option as file to
> let user type in multiple map names separated by a comma; the single
> version, though, is very comfortable because it automatically lists all
> the map available in the work space... even if you can't select more than
> one
>
> 2) I added the r.patch module; such as the g.region.multiple.* modules,
> this is a walk-around
A old problem for this kind of modules

> 3) I modified the r.proj module, that was useless since it was impossible
> to select the raster map to reproject; such as the r.patch modules, this
> is a walk-around

idem

> 4) I added the r.proj.res module; it's the copy of the r.proj module, plus
> the feature to let redifine the resolution of the raster map while
> reprojecting
Ok

> 5) I modified the v.in.db module; now it's possible to pick up the db file
> via GUI, select the table name and db driver
Good

> 6) I worked on the v.in.ogr module: the module was useless since it was
> impossible to select the input and parameters values; I fixed it, added
> some important options and flags, and re-designed the v.in.ogr modules as
> follows:
>
> 6.1) v.in.ogr.list - list all available layers in a given OGR data source
I think that no necessary modules must not be inserted in qgis BECAUSE IT
CAN INCREASE THE COMPLEXITY OF THE grass TOOLS

> 6.2) v.in.ogr - Import OGR/PostGIS vector layers
Already present

> 6.3) v.in.ogr.loc - Import OGR/PostGIS vector layers and create a fitted
> location
Already present

> 6.4) v.in.ogr.all - Import all the OGR/PostGIS vector layers in a given
> data source
Ok

> 6.5) v.in.ogr.all.loc - Import all the OGR/PostGIS vector layers in a
> given data source and create a fitted location
Ok

> 6.6) v.in.shape - Import ESRI Shapefile vector layers
> 6.7) v.in.shape.loc - Import ESRI Shapefile vector layers and create a
> fitted location

Why this attention for shapefile?

> The last two modules are very comfortable since they use the *pick up*
> file GUI tool, with a filter set to *shp files
>
> 7) I added the v.patch module; such as the r.patch modules, this is a
> walk-around

Good WORK!!

Leonardo