[Qgis-developer] Re: ideas for developpers (The Plugins menu)

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:28:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi Borys
>
> Are you running trunk? I recently added filtering option to make it
> easier to find stuff in the plugin manager. I have some more changes
> planned, so before you do too much work, it may be good to collaborate
> a bit. I would like to add a 'category' combo above the plugins list,
> and was thinking to make an update to the plugin interface to allow
> this. I think I can do this without impacting existing C++ plugins (by
> putting a default category of 'undefined' into the plugin abstract
> base class. However I'm unsure of the impacts this will have on the
> pythonistas out there.

Other possibility would be to use tree view that would include the
categories instead of a combo box...

Tim: I looked at the improved plugin manager and it looks really good!
I have just two observations:
1. plugins shouldn't get checked/unchecked by just selecting the item
- only clicking the checkbox should do the change
2. the selection background is maybe too colorful :-)

It should be quite easy to add support of categories for python
plugins. As you could see recently on mailing list, there are some
plans on the way to improve reporting metadata information for python
plugins (e.g. dependencies) so support for categories can be added
too.

Martin