Fwd: Re: [Qgis-developer] Patch to Remove Qt3 Dependencies

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Fri May 23 13:54:32 EDT 2008

Tim Sutton wrote:
> I'd like to put in a +1 for Tom to go ahead an apply this patch so we
> can have it in QGIS 0.11.0 and then get rid of the final qt3 bits in
> time for the next release (1.0).

As the thread indicates, the patch was applied about two weeks ago. It's probably a good sign if you haven't noticed ;-) since the patch isn't supposed to change functionality.

However, I'll take advantage of this message to provide an update on the remaining Qt3 code removal.

I just got the GRASS provider/plugin to compile without Q3Support. There are still many runtime issues so a patch for others to try is perhaps two weeks away.

I also discovered that when QT_USE_QT3SUPPORT is removed from the top level CMakeLists.txt, the macro QT3_SUPPORT is no longer defined and we lose access to inline definitions which map old Qt3 method names to new Qt4 method names, for example QString::find is now QString::indexOf. Sometimes in the next few days, I will be submitting a patch updating method names throughout qgis.

A final note is that the GRASS plugin will not work using Qt-Mac-Cocoa simply by porting it to Qt4. There are symbol collisions between GRASS Vector and Mac libraries which do not happen in Qt-Mac-Carbon(4.4). The solution appears to be a partitioning of the GRASS plugin into Core and Gui layers so that GRASS Vector headers and QtGui headers do not appear in the same qgis files. This will be investigated after the complete port to Qt4.

Tom