R: [Qgis-developer] GRASS Toolbox list view patch

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat May 31 13:36:23 EDT 2008

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> 8<-----snip------
>
>> I think having the list expanded, with a "Compress all/expand all"
>> button would be the best option. Of course filtering is a great thing.
>> In my last course, many people spent more time searching for buttons
>> than actually doing analyses!
>> Thanks for working on this!
>
> Right I will add compress all and expand all buttons for 0.11.0, and
> leave both tree and list views available once. Ill enable the list view
> once Ive resolved the rendering issue (its in svn now just commented out
> so it doesnt display).
>
>> Also notice that the r.mapcalculator window is too large for many
>> screens, so the windows becomes unusable. Better start with only two
>> layers selected, and add a +- couple of buttons as it is now in r.buffer.
>
> I was also thinking to make the tools open in their own windows. I hate
> millions of windows, but my original aim when planning the GRASS toolbox
> revision was to put the toolbox in the dock area with the legend and
> make the tools themselves independent entities. I might send out an
> experimental patch or make it a user option to have tools either windows
> or new tabs.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

One of the problems with the windows is the inability to dock or
minimize them. It's kinda nice when you're doing a bunch of GRASS work
to leave the toolbox open and switch back & forth to the map. XFCE lets
me collapse the window but not Gnome or Windows. So I think giving the
user the option for windows/tabs is good just make sure the windows can
be minimized without minimizing QGIS.

+1 on all the other great things everyone's doing to improve the tool.

Thanks,
Alex