[Qgis-developer] UIC Invalid Property Warnings

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 22:44:38 EST 2008

Hello all,

When compiling QGIS, there are about twenty 'invalid property' UIC
warnings which I would like to eliminate for QGIS 1.0. There are two
reasons for these warnings.

1. After QGIS 0.11, icons for plugins were renamed and standardized. A
side-effect of this cleanup was that the artwork formerly on the left
side of many plugins were deleted. The UI files now generate warnings
for these missing files.

I propose restoring these files using the name <plugin>_watermark.png.
QWizard calls such artwork 'watermarks.' Although plugins aren't
wizards, the plugins use these images in the same way as QWizard so
using the same name makes sense.

Making this change may affect documentation. If plugin screenshots were
made for 0.11 or earlier, the images were present and nothing needs to
be done. If screenshots were made after 0.11, they need to be redone
because the images are missing.

2. At some point in the past, a QGIS icon was placed in the title bar of
   dialogs. I checked as far back as 0.7 and couldn't find a file with
the specified filename so the Q-arrow icon was renamed many years ago.

Currently, the icon is often added automatically -- probably when the
dialog is a child of the main window. The Mac currently has the icon in
most dialogs but X11 has it in fewer places.

I propose we remove the icon specification from all UI dialogs. This
eliminates the warning for 1.0 but doesn't change the UI since the
property has been invalid and ignored since 0.7. After 1.0, we can fix
the parent property of all dialogs so that the icon is automatically
added more consistently.

Thoughts?

Tom