[Qgis-developer] Version number in plugin path?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 06:56:44 EST 2008

Hey Carson,

sorry for the lag, it took me some time to think about the topic :-)

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Carson Farmer <carson.farmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> The other possibility, if we are concerned about compatibility with older
> versions, is that the plugins are only fetched from ~/.qgis/python/plugins,
> however, putting additional folders in ~/.qgis/python, such as /1_x_plugins,
> would not cause any problems ( I have lots of 'extra' plugins here that
> backups, or no longer maintained etc). This then, would allow users to have
> two versions of QGIS installed, both with the same plugins at different
> versions (so I could have and older version of ftools in
> ~/.qgis/python/plugins, and then a newer version associated with trunk in
> ~/.qgis/python/1_x_plugins.

Right, this should work.

But I'd like to start the discussion about compatibility with older
versions. So far I'm not really convinced that there's real benefit -
why would someone use both 1.x version and 0.x version at the same
time?

Martin