[Qgis-developer] Getting some newbie views

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 21 09:50:42 EST 2008

Hi Barry

>  I think I wasn't quite clear. The creation of groups of layers is
> fine. But when you right-click on a layer in the legend there's a
> 'show file groups' option, which adds a 'Files' entry to each layer
> that expands to show the path to the data file (shapefile, geotiff).
> Under what conditions would more than one file appear here?

The original idea was that if you have two layers and you want them to get the
same symbology (or appearance if you like), you just drag one file into the
other layer. And if you then change the symbology of one layer, the symbology
of the second layer changes too.

Unfortunately, this only works at the moment if the two layers have the same
attribute fields (because there could be a classification using an attribute
field).

I think that it would be possible to apply this mechanism also to layers if
they have not the same attributes. E.g. for single symbol layers it could be
quite convenient. But let's wait until feature freeze is over...

> And if the layer is a PostGIS layer - you see the PostGIS password. I
> really don't like that!

Thanks for reporting. It is changed in r9680.

Regards,
Marco

On Friday 21 November 2008 09:11:44 Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> 2008/11/21 Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:
> > Hi Barry & Crew
> >
> > Well done on your workshop!
> >

> > On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 11:04 +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> >
> > 2) The icons: Robert Szczepanek is busy making a new great looking
> > cohesive set of icons that will hopefully give QGIS a more consistent
> > look and feel. That can only happen post 1.0 though since we are gui
> > frozen. However even the nicest set of icons in the world wont remove
> > the need for people to get familiar with them
>
>  All true, of course. But for a first-time user you don't want them to
> have to get familiar with them. It was getting to the point where our
> users were being told to hover over the icon to get the tooltip to see
> what it did before clicking. I think it would be much quicker for them
> to just find 'New Vector Layer' on the menu. Toolbars and buttons are
> great for advanced users, but I think if I run a new user workshop
> again I'll set them up initially with no toolbars and introduce them
> to them later.
>
> > All useful comments and things we can address post 1.0. File groups let
> > group a bunch of e.g. raster layers into a 'folder' in the legend so
> > they can be treated as one legend item - e.g. to switch many layers
> > visibility on/off in one click.
>
>  I think I wasn't quite clear. The creation of groups of layers is
> fine. But when you right-click on a layer in the legend there's a
> 'show file groups' option, which adds a 'Files' entry to each layer
> that expands to show the path to the data file (shapefile, geotiff).
> Under what conditions would more than one file appear here?
>
> And if the layer is a PostGIS layer - you see the PostGIS password. I
> really don't like that!
>
> > Hopefully that will see Gary's work shoot up the best seller list next
> > to Dan Brown & co....
> >
>   :)
>
> Barry

Dr. Marco Hugentobler