[Qgis-developer] Getting some newbie views

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:20:08 EST 2008

Developers,

I just wanted to add a comment to Barry's summary of the course:

1) Under layer properties > General, we have the option to "Chance CRS".
I think this terminology is potentially misleading for one primary reason:
When a newbie sees this button, they immediately think, "Ah, what a
handy way to (re) project my data!"
In reality, it doesn't 'change' the coordinates themselves al all, just
the specification of the CRS. I propose ( for a 1.1 release of course
;-) ) that this be changed to something like "Define CRS", "Specify
CRS", or change the abreviation of CRS to the full 'Coordinate Reference
System". As is, it insinuates more of a change than is actually going
on. As I'm sure many lecturers and tutors will agree, one of the biggest
problems when teaching GIS to beginners comes from problems properly
defining a layers CRS.

I realise that this is a bit of a silly thing to worry about, but I just
wanted to hear what other people though about this terminology.

Cheers,

Carson