[Qgis-developer] Plugin repositories for 1.0

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Wed Oct 8 08:48:49 EDT 2008

Hello Everybody,

It's high time to provide the plugin repositories for 1.x. In the last months
Tim, Otto and I was writing about that and have received no objection, so I
understand everybody agree we should create two repositories:
- the official one: moderated, supported, and enabled by default
- the unsupported open sandbox or "waiting-room", just like the present
repository.

I found the most reliable solution is to leave the present one exclusively for
0.x and create the pair of repositories for 1.x. The installer is ready to
handle them all (to automatically switch from the old one to the new pair
after qgis upgrade and to suggest user the update of all plugins).

So I imagine we need to:
1. open the two new repositories and point the installer to them
2. move existing plugins for 1.0 to the new sandbox
3. ask plugin authors to update their 0.x plugins and put them to the sandbox
4. assign somebody to be a sandbox admin to keep everything correct and clean
5. create a committee to qualify plugins to the closed repo

So the first question is where we can open them. Can we ask Spatialserver for
two more repositories? :) We have all the repo stuff already done there.
Unfortunatelly I notice a lack of Spatialserver connection about every week.
The problems aren't ever prolonged so it's usable, just may be annoying for
some users... So should we move to another location? Only if anybody any
better idea now. Time is short :)

Regards,
B.