[Qgis-developer] API changes?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Oct 11 16:25:25 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/10/8 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
> Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:
>
>> I don't think the plugin upgrade will fix this.  The plugin probably
>> wasn't updated in the repository yet -
>
> Yes, I meant upgrading the plugin in the repo to the new APIs (I'm the
> maintainer of the repo).
>
> and as there are probably more
>> api cleanups underway, there's not much point in doing it now anyway.

Yes there are (probably quite a lot) more API cleanups planned as the
more I go through the API, (qgis core and qgis gui only being
considered here) the more inconsistencies I find. I would like to have
the API really clean, neat & tidy, logical and predictable for 1.0
since we will be stuck with it for a long time.

> Ok, so will it be possible to have a list of calls to be changed when

Yes all changes are listed here:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/VisualChangeLog1.0.0

In theory you can apt-get install rpl and then run all the rpl
commands listed on your plugin and it will just work. However I
recommend manually updating it rather since in practice running the
rpl list may also cause hidden side effects. At the very least, make
good backups before attempting automated API updates with rpl.

> APIs will be freezed again?

They never were frozen yet, only the GUI and feature set are frozen.
I'm hoping to finalise API refactoring within the next month - I'll
announce when I'm done and if folks are happy with the final product,
we will freeze it and folks can start readying their plugins for 1.0
release. I'll send out a follow up email with release plans in the
next day or two.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks.