[Qgis-developer] String categories in translations files

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Wed Apr 1 06:01:47 EDT 2009

Hi List,
I've just opened linguist and realized that some strings newly added to the
translation files are a little messed. The strings of fTools are put to a few
unclearly named categories/contexts scattered among others. The Beata strings
are put to the categories BeataDialog and BeataDialogGui whereas the old table
was in the QgsAttributeTable, QgsAttributeTableBase and
QgsAttributeTableDisplay. In general, most of the categories are named as
QgsClassName, including QgsClassNameBase for ui files.

What about keeping these rules for all plugins too? I think at least fTools
shouldn't be scattered as GeometryDialog, VisualDialog etc but rather
alphabetically gathered as fToolsGeometryDialog, fToolsVisualDialog... (if not
QgsFtoolsGeometryDialog and QgsFtoolsVisualDialog).

The bad news for Carson is the categories are just the class names, so you would
have to rename all fTools classes :(( But the advantage is that translators will
be aware where are the strings from...

My idea is probably best illustrated by the QgsPluginInstaller categories.

Regards,
B.