[Qgis-developer] Mrsid business

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 2 09:41:20 EDT 2009

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> I had a look at the LizardTech webpage
> (http://www.lizardtech.com/download/) and couldn't find a source code
> release to download and compile for gdal support. Would I have to download
> a SDK (requires registration first?)

Andreas,

LizardTech does not provide source code for the decoder sdk.  You need
to register and download the appropriate binary sdk kit for your
platform and compiler.

> Does it also properly support 64bit Linux?

It does, for x86.

> The problem with many of those free/but closed source apps is that they
> usually only support mainstream platforms (usually 32 bit Intel Linux) -
> they wouldn't support PowerPC/ARM, 64 bit/AMD Linux support. For the same
> reason I don't like Flash and Acrobat. They usually also support only
> mainstream platforms.

I agree.  All I can say is that within the limitations of their model
LizardTech has went out of their way to try and support quite a few
platforms, and to provide licensing that is easy to swallow for
distribution with non-GPL software.

Best regards,