[Qgis-developer] Where to release a plugin

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Apr 2 16:02:12 EDT 2009

I've only heard mumbles on the side, so I'll try to explain where I'm
going with this. I think it would be good for fostering plugin
development if we had a more collective place where new developers could
 put together their stuff.

I'm particularly looking at examples like http://trac-hacks.org/ where
plugin developers all share a code repo and have their own page/folder
for development. All the other developers could technically help on any
plugin hosted there, and releases can be hosted from one unofficial
repository.

Right now, I've got a plugin I want to release but it was a team effort
and will continue to be. We used sourceforge to collaborate but it's not
a good platform for a qgis repo to be hosted. In fact I can't figure out
how to do it without violating sourceforge rules.

Moving the release to another server at my lab or the qgis contributed
or official will work short term, but it would rely on me to be the
person who always packages a new version for release. I worry that's not
robust enough of solution.

Any ideas, thanks,
Alex