[Qgis-user] AW: [Qgis-developer] Venue for next hackfest...Vienna?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 18:23:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> I have no problem with hackfest...its short & snappy and keeps (some of)
> the people happy. That said I have this kinda daft and crazy idea to
> make a yearly conference with a not-only-hacking focus. The idea would
> be to host a kinda mini academic conference where for the first day we
> have poster sessions, talks and paper presentations. After that we
> commence with hacking proper. I know it will probably be humble
> beginnings, but I would like to see QGIS establish itself as a research
> platform both for the idea in and of itself, and because of the
> inevitable trickle down effect that will happen with new features and
> improvements making their way into QGIS.

 A Qgis User Meeting? Marvellous idea. The R stats package community
has done this kind of thing for a few years, but has, I reckon, a much
larger user-base.

 Another idea from R - and now we're drifting off-topic into general
publicity items - is an N-monthly newsletter containing news,
comments, code snippets and short application descriptions - perhaps
like the OSGeo journal [http://www.osgeo.org/journal] will be.

 It's hard to know when a project has enough momentum to make user
meetings or newsletters worth doing - clearly the whole of OSGeo has
it, but does a single project like QGis? We probably won't know until
we try...

Barry