[Qgis-developer] Mac users: comments wanted on Xcode project

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 11 00:54:50 EDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Gary Sherman wrote:

> Funny you should ask---I tried it today and had trouble that was
> resolved by starting with a clean (checked out) source tree. I found
> that editing a .ui file and doing a build didn't pick up the
> changes. A clean was required first.

Hmm... maybe you had some compiled ui files left over from a cmake
build that confused the Xcode build.  Xcode saves its intermediate
files in a different location than the cmake build, but compilation
will still see the cmake-generated copies.

>> - Does the configuration make sense?  Is it simple enough to not
>> scare people away?  It's a manual configure by editing a text file,
>> though out of the box it should work with my frameworks and a few
>> standard extras without any config edits.
> It would make sense if I had a clue :) I'm afraid I still don't know
> my way around the source and target folders very well.

Would more explanation of the project layout help?  Though, the
configuration doesn't really need much understanding of the source and
targets.  The readme should cover what's needed.

>> The current configuration also does not verify dependencies.  But
>> for many cases, this is unnecessary, like system libraries, because
>> it's not trying to understand many very different systems, only
>> OSX.  If something isn't found where expected or configured, you
>> won't find out until the build fails.
>>
>> A configure script is on my list of things to look into.  Maybe
>> it's possible to hook into the cmake configuration, that would be
>> nice...

[replying to myself]

A quick look at the top level cmakelists.txt looks promising.  I could
run a CONFIGURE_FILE() macro on a qgis_user.xcconfig.in.  Some config
var adjustments may be needed to conform to Xcode configuration
conventions, but it looks very possible.  You would just do a normal
cmake configure and it would generate the xcconfig, then you fire up
Xcode and build instead of running make.  The xcconfig would be
reusable and customizable, just like a manual configuration.  (this
would be a separate thing from the Xcode option in cmake, mentioned a
while back, which generates the whole Xcode project and didn't work
very well)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always
now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the
accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan