[Qgis-developer] roadmap

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Aug 1 04:38:52 EDT 2009

Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> I also like this idea but we've tried it before and had problems. Since
> we rely on people to work on stuff in their free time its very hard to
> impose deadlines on anybody. The current system we have works very well

Hi Tim.
This is the point: according to what I hear, the system is not working very
well, both for users (I often receive requests like "when will I be able to use
version 1.2? When will be feature yyy available to general public?) and for
packagers (we still miss proper official packages for Debian, and therefore also
for all derived distros). My suggestion came from their requests.

> - where we leave some time for open commits, send out a 'ok to release?'
> email, and if everyone is happy plan a release schedule over the course
> of the next month.
>
> Perhaps things will be different now that we have a codebase that is
> more stabilised and we are working in branches, so I am game to try
> again since I would also like to see:
>
> - a yearly stable release that will have maintenance updates
> - several unstable releases for those who want to have the latest &
> greatest

Don't you think an alternative approach is easier?
Since the code base is mostly quite stable (always compiling smoothly, only 3
critical bugs left), I think we can basically release any time, without major
issues. So why not deciding fixed times, and release the best code we have twice
a year?
Anyway, *you* are the release manager, and I respect your decision :)
I'm raising the point only to make users happy, and to have good packages,
especially for Debian and derivatives. This would also help preparing
documentation in time, I think.
All the best.