[Qgis-developer] A suggestion for "Scale and measurement"

Magnus Homann magnus at homann.se
Sat Aug 8 04:05:39 EDT 2009

Many bugs have been reported against scale and measuremetns value. Often, it is simply coonfusion about
the intended behaviour. However, ther might also be some buyggity involved, especially with the scale bar plugin.

See for instance https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1219 and https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1433
for current status.

I propose we change the wording on the units selector to "Default layer units when OTF Projections is turned off",
and gray this area out when OTFP is on. We also add another selector (maybe in global options instead of project options?)
called "Measurement presentation units:  (*) Metric  (*) Imperial".

Changing any of these must send a signal, being picked up by the scale bar unit and the QgsMeasureDialog.

A question is what to display when a) OTFP is off and the layer unit selected is degrees, or
b) OTFP is on and the map CRS is geo (such as WGS84). Should we use sq. degrees or should we
convert distances/areas on an ellipsoid?

Can I fix this to 1,2, or is it too late?

Magnus