[Qgis-developer] Re: symbology-ng build

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Aug 18 07:19:46 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

When you move the new labeling engine to the core - will you make sure
that the capabilities of the existing core labeling will remain intact? We
extensively use the existing mechanisms with data-driven positioning,
orientation, font-properties, color, etc. and it is important that the
existing features remain intact.

I will also try your new plugin in the upcoming days.

Thanks,
Andreas

On Tue, August 18, 2009 9:39 am, Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:40 AM, John C. Tull<jctull at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is great progress. I am able to get the symbology classified and
>> used
>> on a quick test of a roads file. I did not play around with creating new
>> symbols. Labels do not appear to be working. I did not see an option for
>> labels following lines, etc. I assume that is still underway, perhaps
>> lacking the appropriate means to enact this via the properties dialog.
>> Choosing to display labels and selecting a name field did not produce
>> any
>> labels on the canvas.
>
> John,
>
> I guess you've been setting labeling in the vector layer properties
> dialog, right? The new labeling engine based on PAL is currently
> available as a plugin: enable it in the plugin manager. Then you'll
> get "ABC" icon on the toolbar, clicking it will allow you to set
> labeling properties for current layer.
>
> Later I'd like to move the code to core library and the labeling
> settings will be available directly from layer properties dialog.
>
> Martin

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/