[Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.2.0 Branched - Call for packaging

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Aug 25 17:36:03 EDT 2009

The Leopard build should work on Snow, just as the Tiger build works
on Leopard.  Apple's pretty good about backwards compatibility for 1
version in the system libraries.

My main reasons for doing separate packages are:

- extra 64bit architectures in Leopard.  Though at this time it isn't
an issue for Qgis.  It will be when we can get Qgis working with the
new Qt Cocoa frameworks, which are 64bit.

- Python - Tiger needs Python 2.5 from python.org, Leopard includes
Python 2.5 in the system.  This is only because Qgis links the Python
library directly because it has an embedded interpreter, otherwise it
would be easy to use either Python 2.5 installation from the same Qgis
binary.

For Snow Leopard, it should also have a Python 2.5 in the system, so
we really don't need a 3rd package, even when I can build one.  Though
since Snow is Intel only, the binary size can be reduced with a
separate package by leaving out the PPC side.

On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> Out of curiosity, will new packages be needed for Snow Leopard coming
> out in a few days?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war