[Qgis-developer] XML Metadata editor Plugin - FYI

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Wed Feb 4 11:59:50 EST 2009

This is a shortcoming that I have run into headlong this week as I am
trying to provide some data to an organization that has strict
metadata compliance requirements. My solution has been to hand edit
xml files, but this is not at all ideal.

I strongly agree that this is an important tool that will improve qgis
considerably. In fact, the ability to edit metadata would provide qgis
with capabilities that are rare or absent in the majority of the GIS
software that is currently available. Such a tool would automatically
fill some fields, like geographic extents and projection information,
dates for creation and modification, and perhaps contact and
organization information through a set of defaults that can be
assigned as application-level defaults that will persist across
projects. Additionally, the ability to choose various standards would
be nice; also, being able to load an existing xml file and having it
serve as a template could be useful.

I look forward to seeing your success on this project.

Regards,
John