[Qgis-developer] Some concerns about QGIS on OS X, part 3

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:37:25 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Mac Programmer <MacPgmr at fastermac.net> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>
>> Go ahead and create all those interfaces if you like. Most people
>> I know, however, seem to be quite happy with C++ and Python.
>> Any language that does not have an open source implementation or
>> is not available for all QGIS-supported OS seems to be a waste of
>> time, though.
>
> "Most people I know" - hmm.
>
> Free Pascal is open source and available on all platforms. Same with most
> .NET languages - VB.NET, C# and Delphi Prism apps run pretty well under Mono
> too on all platforms and the compilers too.

We don't support many other languages - no fun if you're into Haskell,
Prolog, Ada or Basic. We've chosen to add Python support in addition
to native C++ and it was a good choice. I don't want to go into any
kind of language war, but I advise you to check out language
comparison at Ohloh [1]. You'll find pascal in about 0.5% of monthly
commits, while python is somewhere at 7% and steadily growing.

Your posts seem to me more like trolling than some objective critics.

Martin

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare