[Qgis-developer] Some concerns about QGIS on OS X, part 3

Mac Programmer MacPgmr at fastermac.net
Wed Feb 11 21:03:05 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Martin Dobias wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Mac Programmer
> <MacPgmr at fastermac.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>>
>>> Go ahead and create all those interfaces if you like. Most people
>>> I know, however, seem to be quite happy with C++ and Python.
>>> Any language that does not have an open source implementation or
>>> is not available for all QGIS-supported OS seems to be a waste of
>>> time, though.
>>
>> "Most people I know" - hmm.
>>
>> Free Pascal is open source and available on all platforms. Same
>> with most
>> .NET languages - VB.NET, C# and Delphi Prism apps run pretty well
>> under Mono
>> too on all platforms and the compilers too.
>
> We don't support many other languages - no fun if you're into Haskell,
> Prolog, Ada or Basic. We've chosen to add Python support in addition
> to native C++ and it was a good choice. I don't want to go into any
> kind of language war, but I advise you to check out language
> comparison at Ohloh [1]. You'll find pascal in about 0.5% of monthly
> commits, while python is somewhere at 7% and steadily growing.

That 0.5% is probably about the same as the desktop Linux share of
the OS marketplace and you don't hear people suggesting that it's
time to euthanize Linux.

> Your posts seem to me more like trolling than some objective critics.

Considering how much time I've spent working with QGIS and its API's
and the 94 posts I've made on the QGIS forum in an attempt to help
other users, that comment is more than a bit offensive.

Thanks.

-Phil