[Qgis-developer] Qgis Xcode project test

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Feb 13 20:59:42 EST 2009

My Xcode project is ready for some testing.  There is a readme in the
project for configuration and building, and another readme for
developers with some random notes on maintainance and the structure of
the project.

http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/macosxport/qgis-xcode-2.0.zip

Comments and suggestions welcome.  Especially on the configuration - I
tried to make it as painless as possible, but it's still not automatic
like running a configure command to search out dependencies.  There
are layers of configuration for dependencies, and I think most people
will only need the first 1 or 2 layers.  (See the Qgis install
document for details on installing dependencies)

Other notes:

- a single-architecture (ie native) build should run faster than a
cmake build.  This is because Xcode compiles sources in parallel,
fully utilizing all processors and cores.  A universal build will be
faster than in cmake if you have more than 2 processors/cores, for the
same reason.

- I figured out how to get the bundled Qt frameworks to not get
confused with an installed Qt: bundled frameworks (in general) must be
installed in an application's Frameworks folder, otherwise the OSX
linker loads installed frameworks over bundled copies.

This also applies to the help viewer app.  To get around this, I
create a symlink in the qgis_help.app bundle pointing to the Qgis.app
Frameworks folder.  qgis_help.app also needs the empty qt.conf file to
fix the problem of loading the installed Qt plugins.

- In addition to using a Frameworks folder, I moved a few other things
around: share/qgis stuff is in Resources, qgis plugins are in the
package PlugIns folder, alongside the Qt imageformats, includes are in
Headers.  I left the qgis libraries in MacOS/lib because the dynamic
keep all libraries there.

- there's a debug configuration which can be used in the Xcode debugger.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy