[Qgis-developer] Qgis Xcode project test

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Feb 13 22:26:10 EST 2009

I forgot to note that the project also takes care of bundling the Qt
frameworks and support libraries, and all the install_name_tool stuff.

On Feb 13, 2009, at 7:59 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> My Xcode project is ready for some testing.  There is a readme in
> the project for configuration and building, and another readme for
> developers with some random notes on maintainance and the structure
> of the project.
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/macosxport/qgis-xcode-2.0.zip
>

> Comments and suggestions welcome.  Especially on the configuration -
> I tried to make it as painless as possible, but it's still not
> automatic like running a configure command to search out
> dependencies.  There are layers of configuration for dependencies,
> and I think most people will only need the first 1 or 2 layers.
> (See the Qgis install document for details on installing dependencies)
>

> Other notes:
>
> - a single-architecture (ie native) build should run faster than a
> cmake build.  This is because Xcode compiles sources in parallel,
> fully utilizing all processors and cores.  A universal build will be
> faster than in cmake if you have more than 2 processors/cores, for
> the same reason.
>
> - I figured out how to get the bundled Qt frameworks to not get
> confused with an installed Qt: bundled frameworks (in general) must
> be installed in an application's Frameworks folder, otherwise the
> OSX linker loads installed frameworks over bundled copies.
>
> This also applies to the help viewer app.  To get around this, I
> create a symlink in the qgis_help.app bundle pointing to the
> Qgis.app Frameworks folder.  qgis_help.app also needs the empty
> qt.conf file to fix the problem of loading the installed Qt plugins.
>
> - In addition to using a Frameworks folder, I moved a few other
> things around: share/qgis stuff is in Resources, qgis plugins are in
> the package PlugIns folder, alongside the Qt imageformats, includes
> are in Headers.  I left the qgis libraries in MacOS/lib because the
> dynamic loading of libqgispython is hardwired to this folder, might
> as well keep all libraries there.
>
> - there's a debug configuration which can be used in the Xcode
> debugger.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy