[Qgis-developer] icons

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jan 3 03:56:16 EST 2009

Hi

 Fri, 2009-01-02 at 19:20 +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> 2009/1/2 Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl>:
> > Hi Tim and John,
> >
> > Cytowanie "John C. Tull" <jctull at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> I would second Tim's sentiments on this. Those icons are very non-
> >> intuitive for me as well. I keep thinking of upload/download icons
in
> >> an sftp-type client.
> >

>  I just had a quick google for 'save icon floppy disc' and found that
> the Tango desktop icons use a hard drive and an arrow - see here:
>
> http://bootstrapping.wordpress.com/2007/05/23/the-save-icon/
>
>  there's lots of other talk on the blogosphere about it, some people
> saying 'keep the floppy icon' and some saying to kick it out, and a
> zillion comments on an article on slashdot from 2004 that you
> shouldn't waste your time reading.

Although I see current gnome apps in ubuntu e.g. evolution still use the
floppy icon for 'save draft'.

>  There's also an argument for getting rid of save icons and
> encouraging people to hit Ctrl-S....

Many people don't learn short cuts. Even though I've pointed out to
people that each menu entry shows its short cut next to it, they still
stick to their same old pointy clicky habits. Then again there was my
friend who didn't use the mouse and did all his work from the keyboard
unless left with no option. Upshot: I think we need to cater for both.

Robert, your 'traditional icons' look great. I think what would also
work well is keeping your 'file open' icon as the new traditional folder
and then using a tango style disk drive with arrow for save and save as.
This is because the main point of confusion is the difference between
save and open concepts.

I'll commit your traditional ones for now to trunk.

Best Regards

Tim

> Barry

 * QGIS programming services