[Qgis-developer] osgeo4w

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 11:04:40 EST 2009

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
>> I would really like to have someone willing to work on a QGIS package for
>> OSGeo4W, though it is a somewhat challenging task due to the dependency on
>> GRASS, and Qt.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance (I know close to nothing about win packaging).
> Aren't these problems already been solved by Marco Pasetti for the
> preparation of his win qgis+grass+deps package?

Paolo,

No, though I would expect some similar techniques could be used.

For one thing, and OSGeo4W QGIS package would be expected to use the
provided versions of underlying libraries - like GDAL.  Also the layout
within the filesystem will be somewhat different and there is a bit of
extra glue stuff needed at install time.

I have spoken to Marco about working on this but he has indicated that
he is unable to commit to the extra work implied.

Ideally such an effort could be pursued in close cooperation with Marco,
including ultimately using the same binaries produced for OSGeo4W (with
a different installer) as the standalone QGIS and/or GRASS package.

Obviously Marco has the right to set the limits of what he will commit to.
But it has been a stake through the heart of OSGeo4W that GRASS and QGIS
aren't present because Marco fills the "standalone win32 binaries" niche
so well but it is hard to fill OSGeo4W without his active help or else
duplicate a great deal of tricky work.

Best regards,