[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] Re: Changing project resolution in qgis?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jan 7 02:50:44 EST 2009

Agustin Lobo ha scritto:
> I agree with the short-term solution, which is
> probably solving the problem that motivated the question.
> But wanted to take the opportunity to propose
> the idea of a set of Raster Tools, not relying
> on grass for some common raster operations.
> In this way the list is following the principle "Act short-term, think
> long-term" :)

Agreed: GRASS should be used only for more complex operations, not for
simple tasks. However, I do not this reimplementing basic operations in
qgis would make much sense. The speedy development of fTools and other
python plugins is made possible by the reuse of existing libraries
(especially GEOS, etc.), and IMHO the same approach should be used for
rasters: a python plugin calling GDAL (same for OGR) will allow users to
greatly increase their power, without too much effort from qgis devs.
If important raster functions are missing from GDAL, better implement
them there than rewriting them in QGIS.
All the best.
pc
--