[Qgis-developer] mapserver plugin

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Tue Jan 20 09:52:23 EST 2009

> > It would be good to make the plugin available through the standard repo,
> > so everybody could update it without reinstalling qgis.

Sure. The only one important thing is to increase the version number to make the
installer upgrading it (of course in the svn too).

I don't upload it yet, because the discussion is still open and the fixed plugin
is not tested well with 1.0.0 as I think.

> Hmm... this is a reason why I think that python plugins inside qgis
> sources are not a very good idea - it brings additional maintenance
> cost for developers. When someone fixes a python plugin in qgis (and
> isn't owner/maintainer of the plugin), he is supposed to notify also
> author so he can upload updated version so that others can make use of
> it.
> Am I making some sense?

Yes, it's inconvenient. However there isn't too many pythonists with svn access
and we're all in contact. So I don't see it as a big problem. At least now...

> IMO we shouldn't keep python plugins inside qgis sources (plugin
> installer is the only one I would keep there) and just include some
> good plugins directly to the release if it's really desired that
> people get some plugins.

Or even keep them only in the main repository and provide a repo snapshots for
machines without internet access.

> So in this situation I think Gary as the creator should upload new
> version to repository...?

A big advantage of the new repositories is that any admin can upload fixes
without affecting the plugin ownership. So it's quite easy to do