[Qgis-developer] mapserver plugin

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Jan 22 16:20:21 EST 2009

Hi

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 14:14 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> > Martin Dobias ha scritto:
> >> Should be fixed now... (r9983)
> >
> > It would be good to make the plugin available through the standard repo,
> > so everybody could update it without reinstalling qgis.
>
> Hmm... this is a reason why I think that python plugins inside qgis
> sources are not a very good idea - it brings additional maintenance
> cost for developers. When someone fixes a python plugin in qgis (and
> isn't owner/maintainer of the plugin), he is supposed to notify also
> author so he can upload updated version so that others can make use of
> it.
> Am I making some sense?
>
> IMO we shouldn't keep python plugins inside qgis sources (plugin
> installer is the only one I would keep there) and just include some
> good plugins directly to the release if it's really desired that
> people get some plugins.

While I am understand where you are coming from I would make the
following points:

- in South Africa and many other countries in the world, people do not
have easy access to the internet. So what they install with the QGIS
installer is all they can use. If we make the sole means of distributing
plugins the plugin installer the internet they will miss out on many
great and useful enhancements to QGIS.

- I would like to see in the 1.x release series more rich functionality
becoming standard 'out of the box' part of QGIS via python or c++
plugins. I guess one possible approach would be to package them in such
a way that they deploy to the user's .qgis dir on first run of QGIS and
then can be updated thereafter if the user has internet access.

- When we ship QGIS it would be good to ship versioned plugins that
correspond to the release of the QGIS version we are putting out. This
will prevent the situation that a person installing older version of
QGIS (e.g. v1 instead of v1.4) can still get the plugins associated with
the version they are using. Although I guess we can work around this by
having the official plugins hosted in QGIS svn but outside of the c++
codebase, and then coordinate with plugin writers to have their plugins
go through the same release cycle core QGIS does.

regards

Tim
 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services