[Qgis-developer] mapserver plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:10:20 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> While I am understand where you are coming from I would make the
> following points:
>
> - in South Africa and many other countries in the world, people do not
> have easy access to the internet. So what they install with the QGIS
> installer is all they can use. If we make the sole means of distributing
> plugins the plugin installer the internet they will miss out on many
> great and useful enhancements to QGIS.
>
> - I would like to see in the 1.x release series more rich functionality
> becoming standard 'out of the box' part of QGIS via python or c++
> plugins. I guess one possible approach would be to package them in such
> a way that they deploy to the user's .qgis dir on first run of QGIS and
> then can be updated thereafter if the user has internet access.
>
> - When we ship QGIS it would be good to ship versioned plugins that
> correspond to the release of the QGIS version we are putting out. This
> will prevent the situation that a person installing older version of
> QGIS (e.g. v1 instead of v1.4) can still get the plugins associated with
> the version they are using. Although I guess we can work around this by
> having the official plugins hosted in QGIS svn but outside of the c++
> codebase, and then coordinate with plugin writers to have their plugins
> go through the same release cycle core QGIS does.

Tim,
I agree with your points. I just want to point out possible problems:
what will we do if some plugins won't be maintained anymore by the
original authors? Keep them in trunk and fix the bugs or remove them
from trunk?

IMO we could do a snapshot of official plugins repository on every
release. They can be appended to windows installer and distributed as
a separate package on linux systems.

Martin