[Qgis-developer] Support for SpatiaLite?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jan 26 16:01:14 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 10:48 +0000, Carson Farmer wrote:
Hi

> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to keep this discussion going=... the provider here:
> > Right, there actually is a SpatiaLite provider already, based on the
> > PostGIS provider:
> >
> > http://www.gaia-gis.it/QGisJanus/
> >
> could certainly be integrated into QGIS. A SpatialLight provider would
> be a fantastic addition to the QGIS repertoire. It has been suggested
> elsewhere that if QGIS worked with SpatialLight as easily as ESRI works
> with Geodatabases, then SpatialLight might be able to grow into an
> opensource Geodatabase alternative, which would be great for
> data-sharing and portability...

> > This is really a question for Alessandro Furieri, the dev of SL. I know
> > he's already busy with this, but he could possibly profit from feedback.
> > I think a SpatiaLite provider would be a great addition for QGIS,
> > solving a long-standing limitation, so if Alessandro agrees I think it
> > would be good to have the development happen straight into the qgis svn,
> > possibly in a separate branch.
> > All the best.
> > pc
> >
> +1 here

+1 For me. If the author is willing I would suggest to add it to the
feature plan for 1.1 at

 http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ReleaseChecklist1.1

At the same time (assuming spatiallite is backwards compatible with
sqlite), we could update the internal copy of sqlite in QGIS sources to
include spatial lite if needed.

Regards

Tim

> Carson