[Qgis-developer] mapserver plugin

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 27 05:30:06 EST 2009

Am Montag 26 Januar 2009 21:22:24 schrieb Tim Sutton:
> Hi Martin
>
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 17:10 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
>

> 8<------snip---------------
>
> > Tim,
> > I agree with your points. I just want to point out possible problems:
> > what will we do if some plugins won't be maintained anymore by the
> > original authors? Keep them in trunk and fix the bugs or remove them
> > from trunk?
>
> Yup - this is a general problem that applies to C++ code too. We have to
> balance this with providing QGIS with a set of features that enables
> people to get real work done in QGIS. I dont know an easy answer to this
> but my feeling is that the default QGIS install should provide somewhat
> more than it has now, but somewhat less than everything & the kitchen
> sink. That said, your suggestion below seems worth a try.

I think we need to decide case by case. There is already a number of plugins
without maintainer. However, some of them are so important to users that it
wouldn't make sense to remove from the code base. E.g. nobody would want to
remove the GRASS plugin from svn because it has no maintainer.

> > IMO we could do a snapshot of official plugins repository on every
> > release. They can be appended to windows installer and distributed as
> > a separate package on linux systems.
>
> Ok +1 for me I'm willing to give your suggestion above a try if others
> are...

+1
Sounds like a good idea to me to add the python plugins of the official
repository to release versions.

Regards,
Marco

--