[Qgis-developer] Symbology RFC

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 06:57:21 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Very nice RFC. No doubt the new symbology classes will be a great addition for
> QGIS.
>
> Btw, do you export the cap style and line join options in the dialog for the
> simple line (I don't have Python installed here at work so I can't check right
> now)? If not, it should be straightforward to provide a GUI for it. In the
> current symbology dialogs, we don't have a GUI to set them even though they
> are supported by Qt.

Hi Marco,

line caps and joins are also planned, but not implemented in the
prototype. You're right, it should be straightforward to include them
- I just didn't want to pollute the prototype with too many features
(since it's only a prototype).

I've found out that I haven't included anything related to units used
in the symbology. In current symbology options I see some weird
default values like 0.26 and setting pen widths is very unintuitive
(what units are those?). I think whenever in symbology-ng there will
be setting for pen width, there should be a line edit widget +
combobox where the user could specify what type of unit is he using
(points / milimeters / ...)

Martin