[Qgis-developer] Symbology RFC

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 27 08:04:56 EST 2009

Hi Martin

> I've found out that I haven't included anything related to units used
> in the symbology. In current symbology options I see some weird
> default values like 0.26 and setting pen widths is very unintuitive
> (what units are those?). I think whenever in symbology-ng there will
> be setting for pen width, there should be a line edit widget +
> combobox where the user could specify what type of unit is he using
> (points / milimeters / ...)

Right, it would be very usefull to choose unit type.

Currently, the units are mm to ensure it looks the same on screen and when
printing on QGraphicsScene/printer. QgsRenderContext::mScaleFactor is the
factor that needs to be multiplied together with the outline width in pixels.

It would be nice if there was also the possibility to specify outline width in
map units (like in the vector overlay branch, there is already the possibility
to give diagram size in map units ).

Regards,
Marco

--