[Qgis-developer] GEOS functions

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:53:28 EST 2009

Hello devs,

Recently, I have noticed problems with several of the geoprocessing
functions that use GEOS. It appears as though GEOS frequently returns
geometry collections when performing overlay functions such as
intersections.

What ends up happening is that if two *polygons* intersect, and this
intersection includes a single point, or a single line (in addition to
say overlapping portions of the polygons), then the geometry returned is
a geometry collection with (possibly) a point, line, and polygon. If
this is the case, when attempting to write the resultant feature to
file, it is skipped because it does not match the geometry specified in
QgsVectorFileWriter().

Martin and I have tried to look at some solutions, and he has
implemented asGeometryCollection() for QgsGeometry(). However, this
solution is currently not optimal, and appears to have some memory
leaks. Do any other devs know if GEOS has changed the way overlay
functions are implemented (I'm using GEOS-3.0.3), and how we can
overcome this problem?

Cheers,

Carson

--