[Qgis-developer] QGIS creating defective shape-files?

Maxim Dubinin sim at gis-lab.info
Thu Jul 23 12:00:50 EDT 2009

Marco,

I looked the shapefile that you've provided. As I said, the problem
with some objects missing on certain scales is related to spatial index. If you remove
*.sbn and *.sbx files (you can do it safely, this doesn't modify the
data) and reload shapefile in ArcGIS, the problem seems to go away.

Now some thoughts/discussion points:

1. The fact that QGIS is showing everything correctly probably means
that it is simply ignoring spatial index (sbn,sbx) of the
shapefile, is this so? If so, I'm not sure if this is correct
strategy, use of this index might help to work with larger datasets.
As I can see, QGIS is creating its own index (qix), it might mean that
ESRI spatial index format is not open/effective?

3. And related, if the shapefile is loaded in QGIS (1.1) seems like it is
locked and cannot be loaded in ArcGIS _at all_, ArcGIS complains that
there is an error in the shapefile. Again, I'm not sure if this is the
correct behavior, locking on editing is good, locking on viewing,
hmm...

Maxim