[Qgis-developer] trouble with translation files

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun May 24 15:30:03 EDT 2009

Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sat, 23. May 2009 at 08:55:08 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Actually the issue is with QT 4.5 a quick hack to keep working is to
>> remove all instances of the degree symbol and copyright symbol from all
>> of the .ts files. Of course don't commit this back.
>
> Why not?  That doesn't do any harm - I fixed that twice in r10600 and r10257
> and now the problem is back. :(
Simply a suggestion because it was a hack, I wasn't sure that removing
the symbols is the proper fix since I didn't open the translations to
see the whole story.

> I think that only happens when updates from translators are commited.  Can
> anyone confirm that is doesn't happen, when update_ts_files.sh is run?
> That would also explain why this only affects a few and not all translation
> files .
>
> I don't know what translators use to update the ts files, but these tools
> obviously don't care to only change things between <translation> and
> </translation>.
>
> E.g. the version and encoding attribute is removed or changed from the ?xml
> tag, the language attribute from ts tag.
>
> Removing encoding attribute might interfere with the degree and copyright
> symbol and removing the language attribute breaks numerus forms.
>
> IMHO translators should only change translations and not touch anything else.
>

> Jürgen

I'm starting to think the translator instructions and tools aren't clear
enough. http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/TranslatorsCorner
As soon as the new wiki is ready, I'll try to poke around the scripts
and update the instructions.

For my plugin, it didn't seem that complex
http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/qgismetaedit/wiki/Translations

Are people not using Qt 4 Linguist, it seems like that's the only way to
ensure we don't break anything.

Alex