[Qgis-developer] Re: Updates and feedback on GIS icon theme

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Tue Nov 10 15:29:09 EST 2009

Hi Robert and Tim,

Am 10.11.2009, 20:58 Uhr, schrieb Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl>:

>> - the contrast in the GIS theme icons is quite low so your brain has
>> to do more work to figure out the important elements of each icon
> Agree. It was my intention to focus first on metaphors. If they are
> recognizable, next step is to add colors.
> Probably original Tango palette will be solution for better contrast. We
> need however some rules for colors. I.e. yellow for selection. In this
> case copyright icon must change.

+1 for rules!
Robert, could you point me to the "Tango palette"?

>> - some of the icons contain concepts that are not recognisable – they
>> dont provide any or enough visual clue as to what their function is
>> (e.g. spatial bookmarks, add vector)
> Here we can discuss.
> In spatial bookmarks we define region to display, so natural for me was
> to show region. And as bookmark I used tab. Book is good, but there is
> no relation with space. What if there will be in program other
> (non-spatial) bookmark.

Now that you explained it, I understand your idea behind the icon. For
Qgis (as there are no non-spatial bookmarks) I'd like to stick with the
book until we find a good replacement.

> Vector metaphor has shape of "V" letter, so once explained it's easy to
> remember. If used only in this context there is no risk to mix it up
> with eg. (poli)line feature. I tested many options including Anita's
> semi-transparency. They are much nicer, but you can mix them up with eg.
> polygon.

"once explained" ... Well, that's the problem ;) People just tend to not
read the manuals.
If I understand you correctly you chose this representation because it's a
symbol for "vector" in general? I always thought it was the symbol for
line. Danger of mix up even here I think.

> I think the best process at the moment is:
> - public discussion at graphics mailing list (welcome Anita),
> - any feedback and comments on QGIS lists is also important,
> - subsequent improvement of existing icons and creation of new ones
> Radical changes, in any direction, should be done with care.
> We should coordinate efforts with Anita and work on vectors, not raster
> renders. I just wonder why you didn't contact me before, to get source
> SVG files. Changes would be much easier ...

Carson gave me an SVG file. I guess it's not really up to date but it
contained almost all important symbols. Of course it would be nice to have
the latest version.

I'll find more time to work on icons on the weekend. Looking forward to
working together with you.

Ciao,
Anita