[Qgis-developer] Re: Updates and feedback on GIS icon theme

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Tue Nov 10 15:54:54 EST 2009

Hi Anita,

> Robert, could you point me to the "Tango palette"?
This is one of standard palettes. Ready to use in Inkscape.

>>> - some of the icons contain concepts that are not recognisable – they
>>> dont provide any or enough visual clue as to what their function is
>>> (e.g. spatial bookmarks, add vector)
>> Here we can discuss.
>> In spatial bookmarks we define region to display, so natural for me was
>> to show region. And as bookmark I used tab. Book is good, but there is
>> no relation with space. What if there will be in program other
>> (non-spatial) bookmark.
>
> Now that you explained it, I understand your idea behind the icon. For
> Qgis (as there are no non-spatial bookmarks) I'd like to stick with the
> book until we find a good replacement.
But this is QGIS specific case and we shouldn't call it 'spatial'.
Proposal:
bookmark -> book
spatial-bookmark -> some space relation

>> Vector metaphor has shape of "V" letter, so once explained it's easy to
>> remember. If used only in this context there is no risk to mix it up
>> with eg. (poli)line feature. I tested many options including Anita's
>> semi-transparency. They are much nicer, but you can mix them up with eg.
>> polygon.
>
> "once explained" ... Well, that's the problem ;) People just tend to not
> read the manuals.
> If I understand you correctly you chose this representation because it's
> a symbol for "vector" in general? I always thought it was the symbol for
> line. Danger of mix up even here I think.
There is always danger (line and polygon), so it's more a question of
shape.

> I'll find more time to work on icons on the weekend. Looking forward to
> working together with you.
>
> Ciao,
> Anita

We need some infrastructure and concept to cooperate. At the moment you,
gvSIG team and me are working on the same.
regards,
Robert