[Qgis-developer] Re: Updates and feedback on GIS icon theme

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Tue Nov 10 16:08:11 EST 2009

Am 10.11.2009, 21:54 Uhr, schrieb Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl>:

> Hi Anita,
>
>> Robert, could you point me to the "Tango palette"?
> This is one of standard palettes. Ready to use in Inkscape.
Ok, I'll have a look at it.

>>> Here we can discuss.
>>> In spatial bookmarks we define region to display, so natural for me was
>>> to show region. And as bookmark I used tab. Book is good, but there is
>>> no relation with space. What if there will be in program other
>>> (non-spatial) bookmark.
>>
>> Now that you explained it, I understand your idea behind the icon. For
>> Qgis (as there are no non-spatial bookmarks) I'd like to stick with the
>> book until we find a good replacement.
> But this is QGIS specific case and we shouldn't call it 'spatial'.
> Proposal:
> bookmark -> book
> spatial-bookmark -> some space relation
I agree. The book icon should be called bookmark. I'm not aware of the
names you use for the icons. I guess they got renamed for use in QGIS.
Here it's called mActionShowBookmarks.png

>>> Vector metaphor has shape of "V" letter, so once explained it's easy to
>>> remember. If used only in this context there is no risk to mix it up
>>> with eg. (poli)line feature. I tested many options including Anita's
>>> semi-transparency. They are much nicer, but you can mix them up with
>>> eg.
>>> polygon.
>>
>> "once explained" ... Well, that's the problem ;) People just tend to not
>> read the manuals.
>> If I understand you correctly you chose this representation because it's
>> a symbol for "vector" in general? I always thought it was the symbol for
>> line. Danger of mix up even here I think.
> There is always danger (line and polygon), so it's more a question of
> shape.
Polygon with V-shape? Would be better visible than the line maybe.

>> I'll find more time to work on icons on the weekend. Looking forward to
>> working together with you.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Anita
>
> We need some infrastructure and concept to cooperate. At the moment you,
> gvSIG team and me are working on the same.
Any ideas, svn?

> regards,
> Robert

Regards,